IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Saturday, October 20, 2012

Make Your Own Seasoning Blends

***This is an old post moved here from my old blog.***  

  We've all seen the little packets of grilling seasonings and the expensive bottles of spice blends. They are great to use when cooking, but why spend so much money on them when you can make your own for less?
It is easy to do if you already have some basic herbs, spices, and seasonings in your pantry. And if you don't, stores like Costco and Sam's Club often sell large bottles of frequently used seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cinnamon. You can also look for store brands, check out dollar stores,  or look in the bulk foods for seasonings.

    Here are a few of my favorite seasoning blends:


I made this chicken in my rotisserie oven,
 using this chicken rub.
Chicken Rub
(This is my adaptation of the rub from this recipe.)
4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. dried Thyme
1 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne or Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder

Blend together and rub on chicken before cooking.
I like to do this the night before I cook the chicken. It allows the flavors to permeate through.


Tri Tip Rub
(This is great on other cuts of beef, as well)
3 TB Garlic Powder
2 TB Salt
2 TB Pepper
1 TB Sugar
2 TB dried Parsley (optional)

Rub on meat before grilling or cooking.


Spaghetti Seasoning Mix
1 TB Cornstarch
1 TB dried Minced Onion
1 TB dried Parsley Flakes
1 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning (For a great Italian Seasoning mix recipe click here)
1 tsp. dried Sweet Pepper Flakes (these can be hard to find- I will sometimes just sub fresh bell peppers when cooking my sauce)
1 tsp. sugar (I use brown sugar)
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. dried Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp. dried Sage

 Mix together and use in recipes that call for a packet of spaghetti seasoning mix.


   Look around online. There are a ton of seasoning mixes that you can make yourself.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...